Thursday, March 24, 2011

You can judge my parenting, or my language but not my fandom

So, we have, what to some people, may be excessive rules and regulations. It works for us so whatever. At our house we don't say the normal stuff, 'stupid', 'shut-up', 'dumb' but we also don't say (and by we I truly mean the girls b/c I say things all the time that are less than appropriate - hopefully not in front of the children!)

Anyway, one of the words that we have discussed and we don't really use is 'suck' as a perjorative (can you use that word as a noun? Whatever, it is my blog; creative license, artistic freedom - if e.e.cummings can type without caps, I can use an adjective as a noun - kind of like using party as a verb, wow. Seriously random soc writing there.)

- There has recently come into our lives a notable exception. Which Ella frequently uses and exploits as she feels as if she is getting away with something. :) The girls are allowed to say, "Cancer sucks" because, really, it does. There are a TON of other words I could use to describe it but for now, at 4 and 6 sucks is a pretty strong swear word!

Now, we of course, are obliged to watch Gonzaga Basketball. Especially during tournament time, I think they may take away our degrees if we don't so it isn't just something we enjoy, but it is something we have to do ;) The girls are learning to enjoy it or at least pretend they enjoy it in short bits so it is becoming more of a family thing. Also, in more explanation, the girls last fall/winter went to a couple of Seahawks games with Sam. They had a great time and Anna especially talks about going back. So, we are watching GU and there is another team and Anna is a bit confused about the whole football, basketball, baseball and team names thing. So we start discussing teams and how they don't play each other, they are different sports. Then the girls want to know who don't we like for football and baseball since we are obviously rooting against the team Gonzaga is playing. I made a joke about the Yankees and you totally see where this is going right? I said, "Yeah, the Yankees suck."

Immediately! I was reprimanded by both of my children while my husband sat there and rolled his eyes at me. Then, being the amazing mother that I am, told my girls, "It's okay. We can say Yankees suck." At this point Sam's mouth first drops open, then he bursts out laughing. Ella says, "We can say two things suck?" "Yes, you can say cancer sucks and Yankees suck."

Sam is utterly appalled! "Really Bran, you are comparing the Yankees to cancer?"

"Well no, I'm just saying they both suck."

Such an intelligent conversation that I'm sure everyone wishes they could have partaken. (is that a word?) Geez, I need a nap, or to quit drinking and staying up late every night.

Okay - now on to the funny post and just another glimpse into the amazingness (I know that's not a word!) that is Anna. A few days go by and we are again talking and the girls are fully exercising their newfound freedom is saying bad words. I ask Anna, "What sucks worse, Cancer or the Yankees?" She sat there, looked at us, pondered, waited, pondered some more...

"Ummm...that's a really tough decision. I don't know."

1 comment:

Avery Adventures said...

funny, funny, funny and totally agree.... Myriam :))